Minimize Application to Floating icons on desktop

Here you may post suggestions for improving and extending Dexpot.
cabetecl

Minimize Application to Floating icons on desktop

Postby cabetecl » 29.01.2011 18:52:34

Here is an idea:

The current Roll-up function is great, but the diference sized of the apps title bar makes it hard to keep apps organized.

It would be great if Dexpot had the ability to minimize applications to a floating icon on the desktop with the option to lock the position of that icon.

what you guys think?

Patrick
Developer

Re: Minimize Application to Floating icons on desktop

Postby Patrick » 29.01.2011 19:06:13

:dex:

How is that different/better than minimizing windows to the taskbar?

cabetecl

Postby cabetecl » 29.01.2011 20:07:13

It makes a diference when you multitask running betwwen 30 to 50 applications at the same times.

minimizing apps as icons to the desktop and having the ability to lock the icons position, makes it much faster to find the application needed with less mouse clicks.

Patrick
Developer

Postby Patrick » 30.01.2011 19:47:33

OK, we'll consider it. Thanks for the suggestion. :ok:

cabetecl

Postby cabetecl » 30.01.2011 20:33:02

Thank you Patrick

The ideal functionality would be:

Ability to set icon size like 30x30 or 40x40 etc....

Ability for dexpot to remember the location of each minimized icon on each virtual desktop

Use the dexpot icon(the monitor) for each desktop icon... makes a nice dexpot signature....

Each icon would have a title = to application title.

Add the new function to the dexpot rules ---> Minimize to desktop after a move action. This way when a user launches an app, the rule will move it to the desired desktop and will minimize the app as an icon on the desktop to the previous saved location...

Save all these settings on the dexpot profiles.

Again Thank you for considering this....

Claudio

CircleDock
Plugin Developer

Postby CircleDock » 31.01.2011 06:53:26

cabetecl wrote:It makes a diference when you multitask running betwwen 30 to 50 applications at the same times.

minimizing apps as icons to the desktop and having the ability to lock the icons position, makes it much faster to find the application needed with less mouse clicks.

The Desktop can not act as a Taskbar, Windows won't allow that. There are certain criteria a program must satisfy in order to create a "host" for minimised app icons, one of which is that the potential "host" must be docked to a screen edge. It can not be a floating window.

cabetecl

Postby cabetecl » 31.01.2011 17:01:33

not sure what you mean...

There is this little apps that does something similar

http://aquaria.za.net/component/option, ... ect/id,11/

the only thing missing is the icon titles... and being integrated with Dexpot

cpanayid

Postby cpanayid » 01.02.2011 03:04:22

This would definitely be a great featuer to add in, I use this in my work environment, and we also have 50+ windows that have to be loaded up, it would be nice to integrate an iconic option into the rollup, that way whether the window is full screen or half screen i can roll up to one standard sized icon and manage them all on one desktop. Just my two cents...

Joop
Beta Tester

Postby Joop » 05.06.2011 00:56:39

This would definitely be a feature I would like to have integrated in Dexpot.
Actually I´m using DM2 http://dm2.sourceforge.net/ for just having this functionality.
Meaning: extra bloat for the 99% of the DM2 features that I don´t need, extra icon in the tray, etc.
Also DM2 is the only program besides miniMIZE that I know of that has this functionality.
Unfortunately it appears that both programs have not been updated to Windows versions beyond XP :cry:

The possibility to minimize to an icon that floats on top of everything is invaluable when you have little desktop space (that´s why we all like Dexpot, right?) and need to be able to have a quick look at another window without having to pop up a task-bar or tab through a list of running programs.

A real life example: You are drawing a 3D model in [your favorite 3D program here] after a reference photograph. Being able to pop up [your favorite image viewer] for a quick peek without slowing down the work-flow is priceless.

Yeah I know, multi-monitor setups are just for that. But......I don´t do that stuff for a living and so it does not justify the extra monitor (yet).

Return to “Feature requests”