Found the probable cause!
Apparently Dexcube has problems with directory junctions.
My %ProgramFiles% folder as usual is “C:\Program Files (x86)” which is ridiculously long and has spaces in it. That’s why I also have a junction called “C:\bin32” (created with mklink /j) that points to “C:\Program Files (x86)”. Dexpot is installed in %ProgramFiles%\Dexpot.
- When I start Dexpot via “C:\bin32\Dexpot\Dexpot.exe” the problem with Dexcube happens.
- When I start Dexpot via “C:\Program Files (x86)\Dexpot\Dexpot.exe” everything is fine.
I can reliably reproduce this behaviour on my Win7 64bit machine.
Some more observations:
- It does not matter if user config in %appdata%\Dexpot and HKCU\Software\Dexpot is already there or not.
- Enabling Dexcube via (2) then restarting Dexpot via (1) disables Dexcube.
- Only Win7 64bit seems to be affected. I could not reproduce the problem at all on Win7 32bit with a similar junction setup.
I have no idea why all this happens. But I have a reliable workaround, so I’m happy.