Desktop Rules and Assign Applications - Full path failure

Post any technical problems or questions you have while using or configuring Dexpot.
Bug-Tracker
Andrew.t

Desktop Rules and Assign Applications - Full path failure

Postby Andrew.t » 28.01.2016 13:42:06

Hi guys,
By a fortune I have ran into this wonderful application called Dexpot, which seem to suit all of the possible needs required. But yet, I have run into the simple and the most annoying problem, anyone could be faced with.

There is no possible way in Desktop Rules and Assign Apps menu to adjust more than one application with the same file name. The most annoying thing is: so many filters like Window Class, contains, starts, matches, regexp and so on, but yet they are all useless, if u have exactly the same program that u run different tasks with. U cannot filter it out, as the title of the program is exactly the same and the filename too.

I have tried programmin auto-it and autohotkey scripts that change the window title, but yet this is all not reliable, after internet disconnect, sleep mode etc, no possible way script can change the title back. i have also tried shortcuts .lnk to adjust with dexpot, but no way its working. I have also tried programmin simple .exe file that runs the app I need, but no way Dexpot wud assign the right rule for it. Another words, I am stuck and stuck deep, I haven't found a way to make the rules work apart from changin the name of the file manually. But it's a shame u know, so many filters and yet none can filter out the same app with the different location path.

All I am trying to do is:
When I launch X:\Andrew\w0rk\mt_stuff\terminal.exe => move to desktop x
launch D:\Andrew\terminal.exe => move to desktop y
and that is it...

Please tell me, there is some magic button to take into account the full path of the app, so I can assign those wonderful "move to other desktop" filters.

Thank you very much in advance.

Sebastian
Developer

Re: Desktop Rules and Assign Applications - Full path failur

Postby Sebastian » 28.01.2016 15:48:38

:dex:,

currently, you'll need to rename the *.exe files, e.g terminal1.exe, terminal2.exe. Considering this a feature suggestion.
Best regards (wave)
Sebastian Brands, Dexpot GbR

Andrew.t

Re: Desktop Rules and Assign Applications - Full path failur

Postby Andrew.t » 28.01.2016 16:19:47

Sebastian wrote::dex:,

currently, you'll need to rename the *.exe files, e.g terminal1.exe, terminal2.exe. Considering this a feature suggestion.

Thank you very much for taking this into account. Please implement this decent, but still very effective issue, of full path app rule in the future version of your amazing software.

match

Re: Desktop Rules and Assign Applications - Full path failure

Postby match » 08.12.2019 20:02:13

Renaming the "exe" program as a (1) copy doesn't work for VirtualBox. I wish to
start 2 different virtual images in separate Dexpot desktops.

I can created a Vbox shortcut that starts the individual virtual image which
passes a parameter to the Virtualboxvm.exe but Dexpot truncates the parameter
passed to virtualvm.exe so both shortcuts (For 2 different vbox images) go to
the same Dexpot desktop.
Is there a way around this condition ?

Regards

Return to “Support”