after switching desktops, chrome window not responsive til clicking on 2nd monitor

Post any technical problems or questions you have while using or configuring Dexpot.
Bug-Tracker
Tony B

after switching desktops, chrome window not responsive til clicking on 2nd monitor

Postby Tony B » 20.10.2020 16:44:10

Win 10 pro, Ver. 1909, OS build 18363.1139
Dexpot 1.6.14 Build 2439

Have been using dexpot for years with no issues.
On my work and home machine (both win 10), using dual displays. On a desktop switch, the app open (seeing it on chrome most often) will not show changes when desktop switches. Clicking on the screen or typing will update data in chrome (ie you can add a calendar event, or paste from the clip board) but you can not SEE these changes reflected, . Only when you click onto any area of the 2nd monitor, then it "refreshes" and shows changes that have been made on the 1st monitor of the new desktop.
Switching tabs on chrome shows all of them white, again until you click on the 2nd monitor.

This has made dexpot virtually unusable for my purposes.

Please let me know what else I can provide to fix this.

Sebastian
Developer

Re: after switching desktops, chrome window not responsive til clicking on 2nd monitor

Postby Sebastian » 22.10.2020 11:40:07

:dex:,

please try disabling 'Settings > Switching Desktops > Keep all taskbar buttons visible'.
Best regards (wave)
Sebastian Brands, Dexpot GbR

SlayerSparty

Re: after switching desktops, chrome window not responsive til clicking on 2nd monitor

Postby SlayerSparty » 07.11.2020 16:10:16

Hello,

I have the same kind of problem, i'm using 4 desktops, and from time to time when I switch, everythings frozen on the destination desktop, and I also have to alt tab or reswitch to different dekstop to have refresh of the windows ...

I think the issue is quite recent also...

I'm on windows 10 btw, running dexpot as administrator...

I've tried what you mentionned, but I still have the problem..

thanks in advance

sad62200

Postby sad62200 » 27.11.2020 08:24:15

Sebastian wrote::dex:,

please try disabling 'Settings > Switching Desktops > Keep all taskbar buttons visible'.

Thank you

sleutels

Postby sleutels » 21.12.2020 10:01:35

I have the same problem. It occurred recently. Problem is the combination of chrome and Dexpot. I am using Windows10
When switching desktops, my chrome window freezes (or is shown blank). I can only continue working when clicking the second desktop of switch it back and forth between desktops to get it unfrozen...

Your suggestion: "please try disabling 'Settings > Switching Desktops > Keep all taskbar buttons visible' ", did not fix the problem.
Dexpot with this glitch is unusable for me (have been using dexpot over 10 years), I have been searching for alternatives....

Any help / suggestion?

Okami96

have the same problem

Postby Okami96 » 22.12.2020 12:23:41

I have the same problem with Opera and Brave for a while - both use the Chrome engine. After a change, I have to manually refresh the windows. This is very sad for me because I have been using Dexpot for a very long time. Now I have to look for an alternative software for more than 1 desktop - maybe the internal windows10 solution :(

nnd

Postby nnd » 30.12.2020 12:37:49

Same for me. Opera and Brave freeze or blank after switching desktop. Need to minimize or Alt-Tab to get it working again. Any solution? I had to switch to VirtuaWin, where this problems happens sometimes but not as often as in Dexpot.

Okami96

Postby Okami96 » 30.12.2020 13:00:25

thank you nnd, I didn`t know about "VirtuaWin" and will now try it out :cool:

rvbrvb

Postby rvbrvb » 04.01.2021 10:27:13

Hi,

I did have the same problem when switching to desktops with chrome based browsers. The solution suggested by Sebastian worked for me. I'm on Windows 10 1909 and use the latest versions of Opera, Chrome and Edge which all had the same problem in combination with Dexpot.

Just my two cents.

Robert.

nnd

Postby nnd » 13.01.2021 14:00:50

I used solution provided by Sebastian and it's true that it works, but it also makes mess on my taskbar, cause it keeps all taskbar buttons from all desktops on one taskbar. And I use workspace switcher app to get rid off the mess, organize my workplace and to keep apps separated.

iap

Postby iap » 17.01.2021 15:29:51

I believe the Chrome "white tab until window is moved" issue started happening in Chrome 87 as a result of the kCalculateNativeWinOcclusion optimization that was added.
Disabling the feature in chrome://flags didn't work for me, so I built a version of Chromium with it patched out from ui/base/ui_base_features.cc
I can confirm that this fixes the issue for me.

I think dexpot must be doing something slightly unusual which triggers this bug in Chrome...

iap

Postby iap » 19.01.2021 18:00:35

Actually, disabling the "Calculate window occlusion on Windows" feature on chrome://flags might work after all, no rebuild required.
chrome://flags/#calculate-native-win-occlusion

It would still be good to get to the bottom of this and either fix it in Chrome or workaround it in dexpot.

Okami96

Postby Okami96 » 19.01.2021 18:16:18

disabling the "Calculate window occlusion on Windows"

yes, it works and I am so happy :)

thank you

rvbrvb

Postby rvbrvb » 25.01.2021 17:26:08

You are right!

the "chrome://flags/#calculate-native-win-occlusion" works better!

Thanks!

hisbvdis

Postby hisbvdis » 26.02.2021 11:43:22

I have the same problem with VS Code.
Maybe because it is developed based on browser technology.
Maybe someone knows how to solve the problem with this program

ironjohn

Postby ironjohn » 27.02.2021 16:04:23

hisbvdis wrote:I have the same problem with VS Code.

If you look on the VirtuaWin support forum(on sourceforge), other desktop managers are having this problem with VSC. IIRC, it triggers when either code or a plugin needs to update... which is damned near every day if you have put any time into customizing your IDE.

hisbvdis

Postby hisbvdis » 27.02.2021 17:02:15

[quote="ironjohn"][quote="hisbvdis"]I have the same problem with VS Code.[/quote]

If you look on the VirtuaWin support forum(on sourceforge), other desktop managers are having this problem with VSC. IIRC, it triggers when either code or a plugin needs to update... which is damned near every day if you have put any time into customizing your IDE.[/quote]

Thanks for answer

nnd

Postby nnd » 07.01.2022 20:39:06

"chrome://flags/#calculate-native-win-occlusion" is no longer available. You can try and add "--disable-backgrounding-occluded-windows" option to app shortcut. It works for me, we'll see how long. Details are here: link

Return to “Support”