Windows not unhiding poperly

Post any technical problems or questions you have while using or configuring Dexpot.
Bug-Tracker
jdop
Anfänger
Anfänger

Windows not unhiding poperly

Postby jdop » 30.01.2014 19:41:59

I run quite a few apps at the same time, quotetracker, thinkorswim, all very window intensive

Dexpot has always done a great job managing all this, but lately , Im have problems with windows remaining in the 'hidden' state when switching.

Using assign apps has helped. But I run 4 instances of a custom app written in Autoit, and they are continuously not restoring properly . usually only 1 or 2 of the 4 disappear and have to be manually unhidden using the 'dexpot windows' screen. This gets tiresome if I have to do it 20 times a day.

Any suggestions?

Patrick
Developer

Re: Windows not unhiding poperly

Postby Patrick » 01.02.2014 00:20:18

:dex:

Windows version? Dexpot version? Is the problem reproducible with just your Autoit app and nothing else running? What's the application assignment feature supposed to have to do with it?

"Lately"? Does that mean the problem started with a Dexpot update? Or did you only recently start using the Autoit app?

jdop
Anfänger
Anfänger

Postby jdop » 03.02.2014 20:10:33

Win 7 x64 latest updates

Latest Dexpot, problem in all recent versions

Application Assign to window seems a bit more robust than the same instruction using Desktop Rules for some of my other apps.

Haven't tested without other apps running.

In any case, what could cause 'random' instances of an app to not UNhide?

jdop
Anfänger
Anfänger

Postby jdop » 04.02.2014 06:05:40

Look like we discussed this before.

Did a quick test when the pc was not under much 'cpu load' . Seems to NOT happen under quiet conditions.

Does that give you a clue? Possible some timeout within dexpot?

Was thinking a workaround might be a 'rule' that would unhide specific apps or window names. As it is I have manually look for the window in the Hidden section of the Desktop Windows and unhide it.

Thanks for your help

jdop
Anfänger
Anfänger

Postby jdop » 07.02.2014 19:15:14

Any idea on how to track down the issue, its quite a nuisance. All 4 instances have the same 'name' in task manager, could that have anything to do with it or is that irrelevant ?

Patrick
Developer

Postby Patrick » 11.02.2014 23:30:36

No, the name doesn't matter. Still, if it only happens with this one application, there has to be something special about it. System load can be a factor though.

Please enable the Dexpot log file, reproduce the problem and then send me the log. If possible, please try to keep the number of open windows to a minimum.

jdop
Anfänger
Anfänger

Postby jdop » 12.02.2014 21:03:55

I tried given each instance a different name, seemed to help a bit, but not significant (as expected).

I think it might have to do with the app being in a busy state (loading web page) when the unhide is requested, and it ignores or doesnt see the request.

I'll try to get a log of this, though I usually have quite a bit going on. Not sure I can get the problem to show up under a light load.

Patrick
Developer

Postby Patrick » 13.02.2014 00:28:42

If you don't switch desktops, does the AutoIt UI become unresponsive when the program loads a web page?

jdop
Anfänger
Anfänger

Postby jdop » 15.02.2014 06:20:10

The Autoit pgm loads data every 45-60 seconds, and YES, while loading web data the app is basically not going to respond well to mouse action. If there's a problem loading a page (slow server), it can hang for some time.

I'm thinking that if its in the 'loading state' for too long when its asked to unhide, it just doesn't do it. But I've tested that theory under a light load and the problem is not happening. Only seems to happen when the cpu is busy (quad core system)

Been using Dexpot for years. I've seen this problem come and go , and usually will happen under load. Used to have a big problem some versions ago with QuoteTracker, which has about 30 windows open, but that seems to have cured itself for the most part.

I realize this kind of problem is tricky to nail down . The only (not so elegant) workaround I can think of is some command to automatically force an unhide of a certain app, when Desktop 'x' is selected, more or less duplicating the manual unhide sequence.

Return to “Support”