Multiple monitors appearing in wrong order in Dexpot

Post any technical problems or questions you have while using or configuring Dexpot.
Bug-Tracker
mccoolaustinm

Dexpot not properly spanning wallpaper across monitors :[

Postby mccoolaustinm » 07.09.2015 07:13:37

Hi! Let me start by saying that Dexpot has been the most incredible software. It only took me a day to get accustomed to it and start benefiting from increased productivity by having three desktops: a general use one, a study desktop for classwork, and a work desktop for organizing my many remote desktop windows.

Today I added a second monitor to my setup in portrait mode, and, well, everything was going well until I first let Dexpot switch desktops. I had configured the wallpaper in windows to span across the two monitors and aligned their height for a very cool panoramic look from my chair.

This is how it is supposed to look, and how it does look until Dexpot makes its move: :shock: :cool:

And no matter how I configure Dexpot's Wallpaper management (note how in this screenshot, Dexpot's preview of the desktop with those settings appears to be correct, but it won't render that way) this is what Dexpot does: :x

I would immensely appreciate it if someone could help me with this issue! :)

deano

Multiple monitors appearing in wrong order in Dexpot

Postby deano » 29.09.2015 13:07:22

Let me start by saying I love Dexpot - I get a thrill out of seeing a full screen preview of my 9 desktops across 3 monitors and it helps me work. Practicality and eyecandy together!

However! I recently changed my GPU and upgraded to Windows 10. Now when I open display settings in windows I see the monitors in one order and when I open Dexpot configuration I see them in a different order. This results in my backgrounds not fitting the monitors.

I've tried reinstalling Dexpot but no luck and I can't see any way to reconfigure it. Any suggestions?

btw I thought Windows 10's new virtual desktops might make Dexpot redundant but there's no comparison with the amount of features Dexpot offers. It's a great product and I thank you for it.

deano

Re: Multiple monitors appearing in wrong order in Dexpot

Postby deano » 05.10.2015 17:01:04

If this helps anyone - I've restored my system to Windows 7. Windows 10 does look nice but I haven't seen any real advantage or innovation. It seems to me to just make the whole interface look more like a mobile phone. I was getting too many bugs - starting up unexpectedly, crashing when I ask it to sleep, lost a partition - it goes on. Of course I have my beloved, multi-monitor, multi-desktop with customised backgrounds and meaningful-names - DEXPOT back! I'll try Windows 10 again sometime in the future.

Way off topic - but why have microsoft given us 'Edge' instead on IE now? again it was full of incompatiblities so I ended up using IE11 and Chrome.

SarkstiR

Re: Dexpot not properly spanning wallpaper across monitors :

Postby SarkstiR » 04.11.2015 00:57:02

I'm having a similar problem as well.
When I've had spanned images like yourself, or setting different backgrounds per screen I get the black bars as well.
I've tried moving the screens (in windows settings) to see if it was some sort of alignment issue, but it usually makes the black bars bigger.
The images are also showing up on the wrong screens.

Dunno if there is an option or setting that I could set to fix this?
running win10

poq2

Postby poq2 » 11.11.2015 22:30:11

Got the same problem since I switched from Windows 8 to Windows 10.

Below my right screen (notice that my left screen is supposed to be smaller) :

retiredfields

Postby retiredfields » 15.11.2015 21:04:38

Same issue here. Windows 10 with two monitors, of different resolution. Dexpot appears to be assigning the native resolutions of the monitors incorrectly. Sebastian, any work around you could offer?

Thanks

poq3

Postby poq3 » 22.11.2015 10:04:44

For some reason, my wallpapers were once displayed right without knowing when and why after coming back to my PC. But then, Dexpot immediately get the multiple monitors wrong after I switched to another virtual desktop.

sdh13

Wallpapers on 2 screens with different sizes

Postby sdh13 » 11.12.2015 15:48:32

Hello

First, thanks for your product who improves a lot the use of the PC.

My problem is the following : I have 2 screens on my computer (PC Windows 10) and unfortunately their sizes are different ; 1 is 16/9 and the other one 16/10 and when I want to select separate pictures for the 2 sccreens , it comes to a mess ; either I have 1 truncated with big black stripes or worse , the picture is split in several parts; is there something to do to address this issue?

BRgds

sdh13

mccoolaustinm

Re: Dexpot not properly spanning wallpaper across monitors :

Postby mccoolaustinm » 10.01.2016 20:35:33

I hate to necro my own thread... but months later, I'm still having this problem, and I'm not the only one :roll:

Sebastian
Developer

Postby Sebastian » 13.01.2016 13:26:37

:dex:,

probably a compatibility issue with Windows 10. I'll install it on my laptop and do some tests.
Best regards (wave)
Sebastian Brands, Dexpot GbR

theshadow630

Re: Multiple displays show up in wrong order

Postby theshadow630 » 18.04.2016 15:02:06

I have the same problem. I recently moved to Win10 and Dexpot shows the order of the displays exactly opposite of what it actually is. Windows display settings shows them in the order that they are (Display 1 on the left and Display 2 on the right). However, Dexpot shows display 2 on the left and display 1 on the right. The numbering is correct and if I change the background image in Dexpot, it changes on the correct display, they are just in the wrong order, so even when I use a dual screen wide background image and stretch is across both monitors in Dexpot, the right half will show on my left monitor and vice versa.

adamistik

Postby adamistik » 06.05.2016 22:13:55

Ditto here -- also using Win 10, also seeing wallpaper sizes swapped between my two monitors as soon as I launch Dexpot.

Ladislaus.R

Postby Ladislaus.R » 15.12.2016 23:49:43

Likewise here. Windows and DexPot list monitors in a separate order.
Left to right, Dexpot lists as 1 3 2. Left to right, Windows lists as 1 2 3.
*Even if* the order were unscrambled,
the image shown in "Configure Desktops" for the center monitor
appears in the left monitor; the image shown for the left monitor
appears in the right monitor; the image shown for the right
monitor appears in the center.

tobsh

Postby tobsh » 01.03.2017 23:00:16

Same here. I have an external 1080p monitor to the left of my 1440p laptop monitor. Dexpot gets the configuration correct if I do either of the following things:
- set the default monitor in Windows settings to the external monitor
- move the external monitor in Windows settings to the right of the laptop monitor

In the setup that I actually want, namely laptop monitor = default monitor and to the right of the external monitor, Dexpot screws up the backgrounds.

Garwyx

Postby Garwyx » 02.01.2018 13:26:15

Has this not been resolved yet? I encounter the same problem. Windows orders my monitors as 3 2 1, and Dexpot as 1 3 2.

Seems to me that Dexpot needs a function to reorder the monitors.

_TT

Postby _TT » 21.12.2018 15:57:13

I am experiencing the same problem. With two external monitors connected to a laptop,
Windows 10 lists them (going from left-to-right, and top-to-bottom) as: 2, 3, 1.
(Intel Graphics control panel lists the order as: 3, 2, 1 which is where they may be re-assigned)
while Dexpot order is: 1, 2, 3

I tried to re-assign them, but it didn't help.

This thread seems to be about the same, viewtopic.php?t=5681
Perhaps the problem is as mentioned mentioned there: Windows uses "a different monitor order internally from what it reports to other applications."

Strange part is that I can recall that at one point previously the order in Dexpot _did_ match and the layout was consistent.

(I'm am really only using Dexpot for the ability to set a background image across multiple monitors. It seems to be one of the only free software to be able to do this, and when it was working, it was very nice for that.)

Return to “Support”