Rocketdock, objectdock and winstep nexus dock integration

Here you may post suggestions for improving and extending Dexpot.
Samot

Rocketdock, objectdock and winstep nexus dock integration

Postby Samot » 04.10.2010 23:36:31

Hi

it would be nice to have a plugin that could integrate dexpot with these 3, like for example, u could have the dock up on desk 1, on the left on desk 2, on the right on desk 3... and possibly with diferent shortcuts on each one

is this possible to do with any plugin already, if not, it would be a nice feature to add to dexpot

CircleDock
Plugin Developer

Re: Rocketdock, objectdock and winstep nexus dock integratio

Postby CircleDock » 05.10.2010 00:27:56

Actually it would be a lot better - and simpler - if the companies authoring those dock programs implemented the Dexpot API.

I write a competitive product to those you mention and integrating the Dexpot API was a relatively simple operation.

Mark

sgtevmckay

Postby sgtevmckay » 05.10.2010 00:36:11

I must agree, as these individual dock creators know their Software capabilities.
I shoulder to think what would happen if controlled on the Dexpot end, although I would think possible, this may create for some re-draw slow down and systems bloat.

My thoughts would be that something could be worked into the "wechsel.ini", but I shudder to consider the complexity and programming that would be involved.

Thoughts:
There is an off the wall solution using Rainmeter and placing a handmade launcher in each area.
This will not have the abilities of many common launchers, but each one could be placed as needed in each VD.

Samot

Postby Samot » 05.10.2010 04:30:34

I know that rocketdock has integration with multiple monitors, what if u made a plugin or a rule that would detect the virtual desktops as monitors, that would solve the problem (at least for people who only use one monitor)

CircleDock
Plugin Developer

Postby CircleDock » 06.10.2010 05:03:27

sgtevmckay wrote:Thoughts:
There is an off the wall solution using Rainmeter and placing a handmade launcher in each area.
This will not have the abilities of many common launchers, but each one could be placed as needed in each VD.

You mean you'd need a new Dock program to be written that is RainMeter-aware but not Dexpot-aware? That sounds kind of crazy to me: if you're going to need a new Dock anyway, might as well make it Dexpot-aware in the first place!

Mark

CircleDock
Plugin Developer

Postby CircleDock » 06.10.2010 06:07:15

Samot wrote:I know that rocketdock has integration with multiple monitors, what if u made a plugin or a rule that would detect the virtual desktops as monitors, that would solve the problem (at least for people who only use one monitor)

Um, no it wouldn't, unless Dexpot was re-written to be a graphics device driver and I doubt that's going to happen!

As I've said before, the only workable solution is to try to convince the authors of your chosen Dock/Launcher programs to implement the Dexpot API and be seen by Dexpot as plug-ins. Good luck with that - RocketDock isn't under active development and hasn't been for at least two years and I am told, by an Object Dock user, that Stardock isn't very receptive to user suggestions.

Mark

sgtevmckay

Postby sgtevmckay » 06.10.2010 19:23:35

CircleDock wrote:
sgtevmckay wrote:Thoughts:

You mean you'd need a new Dock program to be written that is RainMeter-aware but not Dexpot-aware? That sounds kind of crazy to me: if you're going to need a new Dock anyway, might as well make it Dexpot-aware in the first place!

Mark

Indeed :D
And one is on the way :wink:

Please standby :P

Samotk

Postby Samotk » 08.10.2010 15:29:33

k, ty

yes, rocketdock doesnt even have a a forum :D

sgtevmckay

Postby sgtevmckay » 08.10.2010 21:17:38

Samotk wrote:k, ty

yes, rocketdock doesnt even have a a forum :D

True; There is no Rocket Dock forum, But PolyVector and Skunkie can be contacted.
PolyVector is the Creator of Rocket Dock and Skunkie is everything else ;)
They can be contacted with questions and comments at the following URL:
http://punklabs.com/press
Just because the link says press do not be shy. If you write, eventually they will write back. Usually PolyVector :D

When you contact them, let them know that there is an SDK for Dexpot, your request, that you would appreciate it if Rocket Dock coding can be continued (especially as Rocket dock has not had any updates for years), and that an official Forum would be great (not necessarily in that order :wink: ).
I have already done so in the past, but because folks, like yourself, do not know how to get in contact with the Punk Lab folks (purposely I think) they may be unaware of the amount of interest there is in Rocket dock and to see Rocket Dock expanded and updated.

Good luck and indeed, good luck to us all

Regards
The Sarge

ion-christopher

Postby ion-christopher » 05.09.2016 02:44:54

Circle Dock is useful for creating a temporary / non-destructive "prep space" for your Desktop files / icons. BONUS: It is completely portable, so you can run multiple instances, and in as many desktops if you have likewise mastered DEXPOT.

Return to “Feature requests”