Add an option to forbid multiple (combo) switching desktops

Here you may post suggestions for improving and extending Dexpot.
Drugoy

Add an option to forbid multiple (combo) switching desktops

Postby Drugoy » 08.09.2012 13:19:33

Hey!
I've just discovered your program for myself and from first look it seems to be MEGA-AWESOME!
Earlier I was using a way less advanced util for switching desktops, which is not even comparable to the whole bunch of functionality that your awesome program has!
I am two times happier now, when I switched to Dexpot! :D

However, I have 1 request (I'd even call it a bug report because it pretty annoys me, but actually it's just a matter of preferences).

I like instant switching between desktops by just moving (without clicking) the cursor to a corner of the screen.
So, in Dexpot I went to Settings -> Controls -> Mouse Switch and there I chose such settings:

And now I have a little problem: if I move the cursor to the top left corner - desktop switching starts and... never stops until I move cursor away.
What I request is a feature to make only one desktop switch upon moving cursor to the corner and then stop switching until the user moves cursor away for a bit and then moves it back again to the corner, to switch once more.
Current behavior annoys me quite much: I don't want to set any delay before the desktop switch happens. And I don't want to make a click at the corner, I want to be able to switch desktops without clicks.

Please, please, please, fix this bug or at least add a setting for switching modes:
1. require moving cursor away from and then back again to the "trigger point", to switch desktops
2. opposite to the above (it would probably be useful for those, who have "delay" set).

And once again: HUGE THANKS FOR YOUR AWESOME PROGRAM! I REALLY LOVE IT!

Patrick
Developer

Re: Add an option to forbid multiple (combo) switching deskt

Postby Patrick » 08.09.2012 15:48:55

:dex:

Seems like a reasonable idea for very low delay times.

By the way, calling the absence of a feature a bug is something that annoys me. :wink:

Drugoy

Postby Drugoy » 15.09.2012 00:27:51

Patrick wrote::dex:

Seems like a reasonable idea for very low delay times.

By the way, calling the absence of a feature a bug is something that annoys me. :wink:

Patrick, I'm a new user of Dexpot, so I do not know hot often it gets updated. Would you be so kind, please, to tell the approximate time it takes for a small feature to get released?
I could compare date stamps of different versions, but I couldn't find them.

Thanks in advance.

Drugoy

Postby Drugoy » 15.09.2012 09:54:02

I've just noticed a few more issues that I would like to report to you.
Those issues are about "mouse switch" options that use click as a trigger - they have some unwanted for me behavior which you may find unwanted for everyone.

Issue 1: switch desktops action gets triggered if you click and drag the cursor to the triggering area.
As the click (mouse down event) happens BEFORE the cursor gets to the triggering area - I think it's a bug, or at least such behavior should be optional.

Issue 2: clicks should get suppressed (if they have been chosen as the triggering event for desktop switching), instead Dexpot does 2 simultaneous things: switches desktop and sends a click at the cursor position.
Last edited by Drugoy on 07.10.2012 14:29:28, edited 1 time in total.

Patrick
Developer

Postby Patrick » 15.09.2012 17:57:09

Ok, I've looked into this a bit more. Regarding your original suggestion, it appears to be very similar to the existing option "Move mouse cursor out of border area after switch". With the option enabled, you can set the delay to zero and it switches only once, unless you keep moving the cursor towards the edge.

Issue 1: It's supposed to work the way it currently does.

Issue 2: You're right. Ideally, the mouse click would be suppressed, but with the current mouse switch implementation that's not possible.

Drugoy

Postby Drugoy » 15.09.2012 19:19:47

Patrick wrote:Ok, I've looked into this a bit more. Regarding your original suggestion, it appears to be very similar to the existing option "Move mouse cursor out of border area after switch". With the option enabled, you can set the delay to zero and it switches only once, unless you keep moving the cursor towards the edge.

Yeah, but who likes that cursor bouncing? I don't. And I think that it doesn't solve the problem, it's more like a temporary hack.

Patrick wrote:Issue 1: It's supposed to work the way it currently does.

Could that behavior be optional?

Patrick wrote:Issue 2: You're right. Ideally, the mouse click would be suppressed, but with the current mouse switch implementation that's not possible.

And that also means that you do not plan to change "the current mouse switch implementation", right?
Last edited by Drugoy on 07.10.2012 14:24:58, edited 1 time in total.

Patrick
Developer

Postby Patrick » 16.09.2012 16:47:11

Drugoy wrote:And that also means that you do not plan to change "the current mouse switch implementation", right?

I do, actually. I'd like to move the mouse switch feature to the MouseEvents plugin (new in 1.6), which does have the ability to suppress events, but it's not a top priority at the moment.

Drugoy

Postby Drugoy » 07.10.2012 14:39:08

Issue 3: Could you please add mouse wheel up/down events to the list of triggering conditions?
1. It is handy.
2. It would have the least number of occasions (described in the Issue 2 at this topic).
3. You could use scroll direction (up/down) to switch to the next/previous desktop (and a small sub-request: please, make the direction of desktop switching optional: let users decide whether "scroll up" should switch to the next or previous desktop).

Return to “Feature requests”