Individual multimonitor switch

Here you may post suggestions for improving and extending Dexpot.
tcdiem

Individual multimonitor switch

Postby tcdiem » 01.10.2012 23:12:07

Hey,

First of all, congratulations regarding dexpot .. it is really awesome tool.

I am a linux user, still using e17 .. and one feature I simply love in it is the ability to switch desktop only in one of its screens and not the others. In case you never used it configured like that, when you have (for example, like my scenario, with 3 heads - L,C,R) and 4 desktops, it creates 4 desktops per head, allowing you to switch desktop only, lets say on the left one, keeping the others as is.

How this is different than telling dexpot to keep the C and R screens from being changed ? Because on e17 you can also change any of the other heads at any time also. It makes quite awesome since I usually have my main programming environment at the center screen, use the left head for reference material, nagios graphs, etc .. and the right screen for distracting stuff such as emails, IM, etc. Being able to change between a "browser screen" on the left to nagios/cacti without switching out my programming environment (and same with IM, emails, etc) would be a kicking ass feature.

Not sure how much work is involved, since you already have the ability to pin windows onto one screen permanently .. maybe just something like making it "temporary" on a modifier keypress.

One example on how to trigger it is how I use on e17, which I set alt+scroll to change desktops (and the usual alt+number combination) but that only trigger desktop changes on the screen which the mouse cursor is located, not on all.

Pretty pleeeeeeease? :)

Virtual Shuric

Re: Individual multimonitor switch

Postby Virtual Shuric » 25.10.2012 07:54:38

This should be really wonderful feature to implement. I'm Linux user too, although I use Xmonad, not E17 :)
Even better variant is not to create independent desktops for each head, but to create, for example, 5 desktops and simply assign each of that 5 to desired head. Pretty simple and straightforward, IMHO.

Return to “Feature requests”