DexTab initial selection desktop switcher next desktop

Here you may post suggestions for improving and extending Dexpot.
typoknig

DexTab initial selection desktop switcher next desktop

Postby typoknig » 10.05.2013 15:20:43

Currently DexTab has two options for the initial selection desktop switcher: Active desktop and Last active desktop

I think there should also be an option for Next desktop so switching desktops with DexTab acted more like Windows Alt+Tab. By default when you press Alt+Tab in Windows the next task is selected, not the task you are on. When I switch desktops with DexTab I would like the same behavior. So if I were on desktop 1 and I pressed the key combo to switch desktops then desktop 2 would be the initial selection.

Patrick
Developer

Re: DexTab initial selection desktop switcher next desktop

Postby Patrick » 12.05.2013 11:13:29

:dex:

typoknig wrote:I think there should also be an option for Next desktop so switching desktops with DexTab acted more like Windows Alt+Tab.

That's exactly what the "Last active desktop" option is for. In Windows, Alt+Tab switches to the window used most recently. If you press Alt+Tab repeatedly, always releasing both keys, you will switch back and forth between two tasks, not cycle through all.

typoknig

Re: DexTab initial selection desktop switcher next desktop

Postby typoknig » 12.05.2013 17:58:33

Patrick wrote::dex:

typoknig wrote:I think there should also be an option for Next desktop so switching desktops with DexTab acted more like Windows Alt+Tab.

That's exactly what the "Last active desktop" option is for. In Windows, Alt+Tab switches to the window used most recently. If you press Alt+Tab repeatedly, always releasing both keys, you will switch back and forth between two tasks, not cycle through all.

I suppose you are correct. I always thought Windows Alt+Tab behavior acted like a web form, where tab takes you to the "next" field. After looking more closely I see that Windows Alt+Tab does exactly what you said, switching between the two most recently active tasks, not cycling through them all.

With that said I would like to amend my feature request. The cycling functionality you described is what I desire, with a wrap around to the first desktop if you are on the last desktop.

Return to “Feature requests”