Dexpot Review

Everything concerning Dexpot in general.
40oz

Dexpot Review

Postby 40oz » 15.06.2017 01:27:12

After several months of suffering, I've decided to uninstall dexpot. This program once allowed me to move files to and fro using the manager, but then all of the sudden stopped. I don't have time to research and click through endless settings and read endless forums to figure out how to make this work again if even possible. This is the most basic and fundamental purpose of this program and if there is a setting that jeopardizes that, then it should be taken back to the drawing board. Also, why are there not at least desktop folders that are accessible through other desktops. Glad I didn't pay for it. If a person ever wonders why this program doesn't have widespread use and doesn't understand my complaints, then they just don't and never will get it. I had so much hope for this program. Farewell Dexpot.

Sebastian
Developer

Re: Dexpot Review

Postby Sebastian » 15.06.2017 13:41:50

:dex:,

40oz wrote:This program once allowed me to move files to and fro using the manager, but then all of the sudden stopped.

this is either because of Dexpot running as admin or a compatibility issue with Windows 10.

This is the most basic and fundamental purpose of this program and if there is a setting that jeopardizes that, then it should be taken back to the drawing board.

It's not the main purpose of Dexpot.

Also, why are there not at least desktop folders that are accessible through other desktops.

Actually, they are accessible. If you refer to Dexpot switching desktop folders physically, you'll find some folder links not working properly. That's a Windows limitation, though.
Best regards (wave)
Sebastian Brands, Dexpot GbR

Happy-dxp-user

Re: Dexpot Review

Postby Happy-dxp-user » 17.06.2017 20:03:33

Programming against a fragmented moving target like the different versions of the shell subsystem that are out there is some of the most difficult programming there is. If the feature you are looking for is "most basic and fundamental" then why haven't you already found it in another program?

I think the programmers have done an excellent job, it is fast and stable, by far my favorite shell add-in. Even over Dropbox, it lets you create workspaces that you can associate with a certain type of task: like checking in code. So when I need to check-in code, I have a layout with all the windows I need positioned where I need them so I don't have to shuffle around the right windows.

Windows 10 desktops don't let me do that because I'd have to recreate the right desktop on each reboot, instead of having a hotkey in muscle memory so I can think "check in code" and bring up the desktop with all the programs I need.

Beautiful work, not even Mark Russinovich has been able pull that off.

Return to “General discussion”