Taskbar pager

Everything concerning Dexpot in general.
RogerSC

Taskbar pager

Postby RogerSC » 12.04.2011 02:55:03

I've been enjoying using the Taskbar pager for some time now, and am pretty happy with it. I've encountered 2 problems, though, that I thought that I would mention. I'm using Dexpot on Windows 7 Professional Edition, 64-bit OS:

1. Internet Explorer 9 tends to come up on odd desktops sometimes, in addition to the desktop that I actually brought it up on. I've made a rule which sends it to a particular desktop when this happens and is set to be applied automatically, but it is not applied automatically. I need to right-click the title bar of IE9, and go down to the "Dexpot" right-click menu item...when I touch that menu item with the mouse, not even click it, just touch it, the rule is applied and IE9 is sent to it's assigned desktop, but not before that.

2. Firefox 4.0 also turns up on on desktops sometimes (less often than IE9, but it still happens). There's also a bug in Firefox 4.0 so that Dexpot cannot add its menu item to the right-click menu, so I just have to exit Firefox and bring it back up. Luckily Firefox 4.0 is very very good at coming up in the same state (same tabs open) that it was exited, so this is okay, but not desirable.

Anyways, I'm appreciating Dexpot a lot from the Taskbar pager. These are minor problems with the Taskbar pager, but it would be nice to see them addressed at some point.

On the other hand, if I'm the only one having them, well then I need to get an exorcist for my haunted computer *smile*.

Thanks.

-Roger

Patrick
Developer

Re: Taskbar pager

Postby Patrick » 12.04.2011 13:06:59

:dex:

What's your exact Dexpot version (check in "About")?

RogerSC wrote:Internet Explorer 9 tends to come up on odd desktops sometimes, in addition to the desktop that I actually brought it up on. I've made a rule which sends it to a particular desktop when this happens and is set to be applied automatically, but it is not applied automatically.

Desktop rules are only ever applied automatically when a window is newly opened.

There's also a bug in Firefox 4.0 so that Dexpot cannot add its menu item to the right-click menu, so I just have to exit Firefox and bring it back up.

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=644277

These are minor problems with the Taskbar pager, but it would be nice to see them addressed at some point.

I doubt it's related to the Taskbar Pager. The various means to switch and manage your desktops are all just different interfaces to the same Dexpot back end.

RogerSC

Postby RogerSC » 12.04.2011 20:34:33

Hi,

Thanks for responding, I appreciate it.

Yes, I agree with you, what I'm seeing is probably not related to Taskbar pager per-se, it's in the code invoked by the Taskbar pager.

The Dexpot version that I'm currently using is Version 1.5.8, Build 1434-debug. This was a version offered to someone who was having trouble with rules being applied automatically, and I took it as well, since I was seeing something similar in the non-debug version (the latest release, as far as I can tell). It has virtually the same behavior as Version 1.5.8, Build 1434, I haven't seen any differences. Same behavior with errant Firefox and IE windows.

And yes, the Firefox 4.0 thing is a reported bug (I reported it, for one *smile*).

Just to recap, the main thing that I'm seeing is that both Firefox 4.0 and Internet Explorer 9 will show up in desktops in which they were not invoked. Sometimes when I bring up a remote desktop, for example, this will cause an Internet Explorer 9 window to appear in the same desktop in which I've invoked the remote desktop. Sometimes I get up in the morning after having my computer on all night and IE 9 and FF 4.0 appear in other desktops than they were invoked.

Anyways, neither of these problems are "show-stoppers", just annoyances *smile*.

Thanks again.

-Roger

RogerSC

Postby RogerSC » 14.04.2011 02:09:49

IE9 is now showing up in the Taskbar pager on any desktop when I use putty to bring up an ssh window to another system, as well as when I bring up a remote desktop.

Don't know what's going on there, but again, when I bring up the "right-click on title bar" menu, and move the mouse to the Dexpot entry in that menu, the IE9 disappears (the rule moving it to another desktop is applied, it seems).

Interesting stuff...*smile*.

-Roger

Patrick
Developer

Postby Patrick » 14.04.2011 13:07:59

RogerSC wrote:IE9 is now showing up in the Taskbar pager on any desktop when I use putty to bring up an ssh window to another system, as well as when I bring up a remote desktop.

Please enable the Dexpot log file, reproduce this problem, and send me the log file via email.

RogerSC

Postby RogerSC » 14.04.2011 21:06:27

Patrick,

Okay, I have a log where a couple of extra IE9 windows appeared on Desktop 9 without being requested. Desktop 10 is where I directly invoke IE9. These appear to be copies of the IE9 on Desktop 10, since they have the same tabs open as the IE9 that I'm using on Desktop 10. Since they are copies, I guess that the Dexpot rule that I have to move IE9 to Desktop 10 is not invoked, since they are not new.

I'll mail you the log (which I can't read *smile*) as soon as I find your email address.

Thanks much.

-Roger

RogerSC

Postby RogerSC » 15.04.2011 20:10:47

Patrick,

Okay, I sent the log using PM via your profile entry.

Is there anything else I can do?

Thanks.

-Roger

Patrick
Developer

Postby Patrick » 15.04.2011 20:51:15

Thanks for the log file. I'm working on a new version. I'll let you know when it's ready for testing.

RogerSC

Postby RogerSC » 16.04.2011 02:37:26

Great, thanks again.

-Roger

Patrick
Developer

Postby Patrick » 16.04.2011 15:08:04

RogerSC

Postby RogerSC » 18.04.2011 01:35:37

Patrick,

Thanks very much, this new version seems to be working. I'm not seeing IE9 windows copied either when I use putty or when I open a remote desktop. Very good news.

It would be interesting to hear what the problem was, but for the moment at least, things look much better *smile*.

Thanks again for dealing with this issue so quickly.

-Roger

Return to “General discussion”